Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Shopping Your Closet--

All I can say, is this one should be fun...at the very least interesting. To that end, I'll explain the concept then add a twist.
This is a Unisex project, so this is for all the Guys and Dolls!

Shopping your own closet is what you do when things seem to be getting stale; and by stale I mean always wearing that shirt with those pants. We all do it--stay within our comfort zones. Rarely does comfort provide opportunity, in life or wardrobe. Take a look at your closet as though the contents belonged to someone else, then try to put together a combination you've never tried before.
To help get in the mindset, start very basic: "What do I want to wear tomorrow?" For the gents I know the office options can be limited, but depending on the office culture, this could mean determining if you want to go with slacks or jeans.
For the gals, the sky is the limit--do I want to wear a dress? (No, not a choice for everyone, so for my lovies out there that prefer menswear, I say rock that and own it)......
....the rest being obvious: skirt, slacks and/or jeans.
Once you know what you feel like wearing in the rough sense, have a friend, roommate, spouse (etc.) check the contents of your closet bearing the rough concept in mind. Tell them, for example, I feel like wearing slacks tomorrow--then turn them loose. (Also, make sure they understand this means a whole outfit, with shoes and accessories.)
Once there's a new set of eyes in there, you'd be amazed at the fresh combinations that appear.
Someone else may be drawn to different colors than you--myself, I LOVE contrast. Wearing turquoise against bright red, electric blue against gold, purple taking orange in an unexpected direction.....j'adore! Having someone else check your pieces out for you may be quite revealing....there really is more in there than you think!

Now, we have the t-shirt incident--this will forever remain in infamy.....thinking now maybe I should have made the t-shirt incident in caps. A very dear friend who--if she is reading this knows who she is--sent me an email with a shot of a multi-step process in which one might twist and tuck an oversized t-shirt into a tube-dress/beach coverup configuration. Does anyone notice a lack of picture of my efforts at home with this? Let's just say I'm glad I tried it at home before depending on it in the trenches--EPIC FAIL slightly covers it.
I had joked with the aforementioned friend about how skinny the girl in the demonstration pics was--all knobby kneed and in serious need of some pizza. I don't know if she found the Jolly Green Giant's shirt, or if she's descended from scarecrows but here's the kicker--I am a size 2, and there was not a single oversized shirt in my 6'2", 200lb. hubbys stuff with a neck wide enough to accommodate me.
I don't know what kind of circus people WireGirl in the demo came from, but there is no way in Hades a normal person could get the neck of the t-shirt up around her chest without stretching the blasted thing to oblivion. So? I won't feature the demo on the t-shirt origami, but I will say this--pssst.......:  if you want to make your husband mad, make sure he walks into the room as you're pulling the neck of his shirt out like a hula hoop to fit your bust.......

Lastly Guys and Dolls, coming very soon, I'll be featuring some local talent here on our little style planet!
Makeup artists, manicurists, and thrift stores.....OH MY!
Stayed tuned for the best in local styling.

No comments:

Post a Comment