Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I Dress, therefore I am.....who are you?

It seems like a basic question (who am I?), but we all know how complex and varied the answer can be.

Rarely do we ask ourselves the very next, seemingly logical questions--who do I want to be, and do I look like that person?

I don't feel the need to argue the point that as humans, we respond to visual cues, whether for survival or social interaction. This being the case, it's important to remind yourself of reality: people can see you, and respond to the visual cues you give off whether they're intentional on your part or not. (I know, some of you are reading this and gulping.....sorry kids, it's true!)

What is it you project with your style, versus what you want to present to the world? Are those the same person? When someone goes to a baseball game, jeans, sneakers, ball caps, face paint--all expected and appropriate--so if someone attended a funeral with a painted face and big foam finger to cheer on the guy doing the eulogy, we'd think they were drunk or nuts........or maybe somebody was getting punk'd......

Why is it in day to day life we behave like the person we are within doesn't have to line up with what's on the outside? What's wrong with honoring the individual you are? I've lost count of how many female friends and family members have told me that they do not own one single item that, when they put it on, makes them feel beautiful. How do you own an entire closet of clothes and not truly like or love any of it? Silly, right?

Think of it this way......a guy goes into a restaurant and orders the special. The waiter comes over with the check, and asks how it was--the guy says "Terrible!"
Next day, same guy, same place, same waiter....orders the SAME special. Again, when the waiter brings the check and asks how it was......same answer: "Terrible!"
This goes on for a solid week before the waiter can't take it anymore--he asks the guy--"Every day you order the same thing, and everyday you leave unhappy--how can you live like this?"
The guy looks the waiter dead in the eye and says: "If you met my wife you'd understand."

Old vaudeville humor has just proved my point! Why in the world would you wear something (or better yet pay hard-earned cash for something) that doesn't make you happy or reflect the person you are and want to project? Over and over again I keep watching people....men and women alike, don't think I don't see you guys.......ordering the special!! Wearing things that are far less than they deserve--I've met some really beautiful, intelligent people in some of the worst slop!

Don't break the bank people; to be very clear, I am a huge fan of the bargain. Local thrift stores are some of my favorite and most-loved haunts (my recommendations coming soon). Spending a ton of money on fashion takes the fun out of it--you can't live in a Gucci bag, or drive a pair of hand stitched Italian leather loafers. Since fashion should be fun and being broke is not, go hunting one afternoon. Hit the local thrift stores in your area, be prepared to dig, and have fun.........and whatever you do:
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
DON'T ORDER THE SPECIAL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment